Gear for Outdoor School: The List with Links
School outdoors? Yes!
Here is our list and tips for gearing up for school in all weather, outdoor classrooms.
Want help? Fill out this form and we'll get you set with everything you need.
First up, the basics: three layers that will get your child through a great year of all weather play. See more on this set up HERE.
Shop the 1-2-3 setup:
1. Baselayers in Polyester or Wool
2. Quilted Thermals (prefect for dry day play or layered under waterproofs on cold, wet, or windy days) or Fleece
3. Waterproof Outerwear
Find your child's size here.
Below are some other things to look at that will help make your child's school year smooth. Click the title links to see each item in our shop.
Here's the most popular gear outdoor school families return for year after year:
- Waterproof over mittens - for spring and fall, waterproof over mittens are perfect for playing in damp or wet conditions in spring, fall, and mild winter.
- Magic mitts/gloves - available in both cotton and wool blends, these are like socks for hands - super handy, wash up easily, and they tend to get really dirty. Stash them in a pocket or bag and always have them ready.
- Waterproof winter mittens - We recommend mittens as opposed to gloves for children 5 and under so they can easily self dress. They will figure out dexterity like astronauts - and little fingers will stay warmer too.
- Winter Hats
- Tube Scarves and Balaclavas
- Cotton Beanies - for spring and fall when it's not cold enough for the winter hats, our kids ro ck these soft hats in the woods, on hikes, and everyday. They are an extra level of bug protection too!
- Wool Socks and Tights and Fleece Socks
- Rainboots or Wellies for puddle stomping fun,
- Neoprene boots for all weather and daily outdoor play, and
- Flexible soled indoor shoes or slippers for wearing inside (without tracking in all the mud!)
- Waterbottles - our favorite insulated, leak proof, clip-able waterbottles. Add a name label and you're good to go! We recommend the larger 27oz for kids 5 and up so they can avoid constant refills.
Feeling overwhelmed? Remember these are all the add ons - you've got the main needs covered with your rainsuit, mid, and base layer combo. You've got this!
- Instead of searching through to find your size in stock, fill out this form and we'll create an order and work with you to find the perfect set up.
- Want a quick overview to read or share? Find our blog post here.
- Looking for info on how to care for your waterproofs? https://www.biddleandbop.com/pages/gear-warranty-and-care (One addendum here: do not spray your waterproof gear with permethrin tick and bug protection. It will not bond with the fabric.)