Gear for Outdoor School and Nature Kindergartens
School outdoors? Yes!
Here is our list of gear needed for most outdoor schools and nature kindergartens, plus tips for gearing up for school in all weather, outdoor classrooms.
Want help? Fill out this form and we'll get you set with everything you need for outdoor school or nature kindergarten.
First up, the basics: three layers that will get your child through a great year of all weather play at outdoor schools or in nature based educational programs. See more on this set up HERE.
Shop the 1-2-3 setup:
1. Baselayers in Polyester or Wool
2. Quilted Thermals (prefect for dry day play or layered under waterproofs on cold, wet, or windy days) or Fleece
3. Waterproof Outerwear
Classic Rain Gear Set - Redwood
A European Forest Kinder school favorite, CeLaVi's waterproof jacket and trousers set is made with a soft polyurethane. The jacket has a detachable hood, a soft fleece collar and snap flap over the zipper for extra protection from the rain. The… read more
Taxi Rain Gear Set - Delphinium Blue
Color Kids Jr Taxi PU Rain Set - Kids Rainsuit Classic children's outdoor gear from Color Kids - sister brand to our best selling Celavi. PVC FREE Polyurethane Jacket with hood and bibbed pants. The windproof and waterproof PU rain set… read more
Find your child's size here.
Below are some other things to look at that will help make your child's school year smooth. Click the title links to see each item in our shop.
Here's the most popular gear outdoor school families return for year after year:
- Waterproof over mittens - for spring and fall, waterproof over mittens are perfect for playing in damp or wet conditions in spring, fall, and mild winter.
- Magic mitts/gloves - available in both cotton and wool blends, these are like socks for hands - super handy, wash up easily, and they tend to get really dirty. Stash them in a pocket or bag and always have them ready.
- Waterproof winter mittens - We recommend mittens as opposed to gloves for children 5 and under so they can easily self dress. They will figure out dexterity like astronauts - and little fingers will stay warmer too.
- Winter Hats
- Tube Scarves and Balaclavas
- Cotton Beanies - for spring and fall when it's not cold enough for the winter hats, our kids ro ck these soft hats in the woods, on hikes, and everyday. They are an extra level of bug protection too!
- Wool Socks and Tights and Fleece Socks
- Waterbottles - our favorite insulated, leak proof, clip-able waterbottles. Add a name label and you're good to go! We recommend the larger 27oz for kids 5 and up so they can avoid constant refills.
Feeling overwhelmed? Remember these are all the add-ons - you've got the main needs covered with your rainsuit, mid, and base layer combo. Cold climates will need dedicated winter gear. Breathe easy: you've got this!
Ready to get started? Shop now and get ready for a great school year at your outdoor school or nature class!
« Back to Blog